The cuisine in Sant Feliu de Guíxols is well-known for the quality of its products, not only fish and vegetables, but also meat and fruits. The cuisine has a long-lasting tradition that reinterprets both its traditional and its creative dishes. We must point out the oily fish and the seafood cuisine, such as fish stew, anchovies stew, cod and peixopalo (dried cod without salt).
The town has ideal restaurants to satisfy tourists and visitors needs: creative-dishes, seafood dishes, fresh market cuisine, tapas... There are also gastronomic campaigns and trade fairs like the Mercat del Brunyol (Sweet Fritter Fair in Easter).
Many gastronomic campaigns are organised throughout the year, in which the local restaurants take part. We must mention:
- URIÇADA POPULAR. It is the starting point of the campaign. There are sea urchins tasting (6 per person), a glass of cava in Juli Garreta Gardens.
- COD AND PEIXOPALO GASTRONOMIC CAMPAIGN. Several restaurants in town offer menus with this fish during the whole campaign.
- GANXOTAPES. For a few years now, an important tapas and montaditos gastronomic campaign, well-known in the region, is organised. Most of the restaurants in town take part in this campaign, exceeding the level each edition. The tapas are really creative. It is held twice a year: in spring and in autumn. There are photo contests, raffles and prizes. The promotion consists of a tapa and a drink for 2,5 €.
- BRUNYOL MARKET. This fair is the starting point of the spring and the touristic season. Artisans and craft trades related to the sweet fritter (typical of the town) take part in this fair, together with a wide offer of workshops, tastings and shows for the whole family.
- OILY FISH GASTRONOMIC CAMPAIGN. For more than 25 years, this campaign has been organised in Sant Feliu de Guíxols. It is based on the traditional fishing methods in town, which are called bottom trawling and purse-seine fishing. At present, only the second one is used to catch oily fish. As a result of this excellent product, a gastronomic campaign is organised between May and June, when the fish is tastier and more nutritious. The presentation of the Oily Fish gastronomic campaign takes place at rambla Vidal the 1st Saturday of the campaign. The participating restaurants offer oily fish tastings for 1 €.
Here are the restaurants of the town, where you can find detailed information on their gastronomic specialties.